We provide independent advice that is developed and delivered directly to clients by the firm's professionals. Critically, we are held to a fiduciary standard, so our clients' interests are placed ahead of our own.
Transparency is a core belief, making effective and consistent communication fundamental to the client value proposition:
- Regular discussions with clients about their portfolios in the context of their unique circumstances
- Clear articulation of the investment performance of client portfolios
- Periodic communication of the firm's perspective on the global economy and financial markets
Our portfolios are customized to each client's unique goals and objectives; for each client, we develop an investment objective statement that incorporates:
- Client type/background, investment experience, and financial circumstances
- Financial objectives and preferences
- Distribution and liquidity requirements
- Return and risk parameters
- Strategic asset-allocation targets
- Tax and legal considerations noted by the client's tax and legal advisors
We create diversified portfolios, utilizing a broad range of asset classes:
- Global Stocks (domestic, developed and emerging international, all capitalizations)
- Global Bonds (US government, corporate, international, municipal, high yield)
- Hard Assets (commodities and real estate)
We match investment opportunities in individual securities, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and other financial instructions with client investment objectives and focus on macro-economic trends to implement tactical portfolio management.
- Our Investment Policy Committee operates as a team, delivering to each client relationship the collective experience and insights of all of our investment professionals
- We apply our extensive experience to access and synthesize information from a variety of sources in an effort to objectively identify opportunities within all global markets
- We combine a top-down, macro-economic view with a bottom-up, security-selection process to construct, monitor and manage client portfolios
- Assessing the macro-economic environment enables us to identify broad business-cycle themes, thus forming the basis for the tactical management of asset classes
- Within each economic sector, the responsible analyst monitors equity and credit positions, updates the risk / reward profile of each security in our client portfolios and recommends actions as appropriate
- Our disciplined security-selection process is driven by fundamental analysis and price sensitivity
- Our portfolio managers extend the Investment Policy Committee discussions to each client's investment objective statement through the active management of investment portfolios
Our clients have complex financial situations. In a perfect world, everyone would have a personal CFO to provide peace of mind that their financial affairs are orchestrated and well-managed. That is precisely the role we play in many of our clients' lives.
In this role, our goal is to ensure the seamless management of our clients' financial affairs. We provide objective and comprehensive advice, often in coordination with our clients' other professional advisors. And, critically, we monitor our clients' situations regularly to keep pace with their changing lives and evolving wealth. This information is communicated both to our clients and their advisors, ensuring that every member of the team is able to provide expert advice with current information.
We provide our clients with objective, consultative advice and comprehensive, personalized strategies. At the inception of a client relationship, we address these core wealth planning topics:
- Developing a net worth statement and monitoring changes over time
- Integrating personal cash flows with investment-management strategies
- Determining an appropriate portfolio distribution rate
We work with our clients' other advisors, including legal, tax and insurance professionals, as applicable, to implement customized and comprehensive wealth management programs for our clients.
Matters addressed with other client advisors may include:
- Tax planning
- Retirement planning
- Estate and charitable planning
- Education planning
- Insurance planning
- Long Term Care
- Personal liability
Our Core Values
Delivering high quality and highly valued services to our clients is our primary purpose and the most important determinant of our long-term success. Client interests are always foremost in our minds in this pursuit.
We expect our people to maintain high ethical standards in everything they do, both in their work for Vigilant and in their personal lives. Full compliance with the letter and spirit of the laws and ethical principles that govern us is essential to maintaining our personal and firm reputation.
Our clients' situations are unique and often complex. We may not always have all the answers, but we stress a willingness to proactively address even the most difficult challenges head-on in pursuit of a successful outcome.
To compete successfully in our industry requires dedication and intense effort by our people.
We believe individual ideas and creativity shared in a proactive and collaborative fashion produce the best results. Our people are expected to embrace the opportunity to contribute to the value proposition our team delivers to clients and their other advisors.
There is no place for complacency at Vigilant. Our industry and our clients' lives are dynamic. We must constantly strive to improve our knowledge, processes and infrastructure.
Steady growth of our firm is evidence of the successful delivery of our value proposition and enables the ongoing investments required to sustain a successful firm.
Our relationships involve the sharing of information that is more profound than one finds at most other organizations. It is absolutely imperative that this information be treated carefully and properly.